English as a Second Language
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Sentence Skills CPT 51-70 or successful completion of ESL 052.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Use critical reading techniques to discern the main idea in a reading passage.
- Express thoughts accurately and clearly in writing with minimum grammatical errors that impede understanding.
- Identify parts of speech: nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions and interjections.
- Specify sentence parts: subjects and verbs, phrases and clauses.
- Apply conventional punctuation.
- Differentiate between fragments and run-on sentences.
- Generate ideas for pre-writing activities.
- Identify the parts of a paragraph including the topic sentence, supporting details and a concluding sentence.
- Construct a paragraph including topic sentence, supporting details and a concluding sentence.
- Compose types of paragraphs: descriptive, compare-contrast, cause-effect and classification.
- Edit paragraphs for sentence skills: grammar, spelling, punctuation and word choice.
- Utilize the special features of a dictionary: entry, spelling, pronunciation, grammar labels, homonyms and synonyms.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.