Modern English Grammar
This is the first of a two-part sequence (ENG 050/055) designed to prepare students for composition courses. The course content focuses on major grammatical concepts and writing. A grade of 2.0 or better in ENG 050 is necessary to enter ENG 055.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Minimum placement test score of 10 ACT or 35 CPT.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify parts of speech correctly: nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions, and conjunctions.
- Identify sentence parts correctly: subjects, verbs, phrases, and clauses.
- Express complete thoughts using simple, compound, complex, and compound/complex sentences.
- Apply conventional punctuation correctly to all types of sentences.
- Use a dictionary and thesaurus to identify words types and build vocabulary.
- Compose well developed paragraphs.
- Revise paragraphs for coherence, accuracy, and clarity.
- Edit paragraphs for sentence skills: grammar, spelling, punctuation, and word choice.
- Develop critical thinking skills.
- Develop proficiency in modern grammar.
| ||050||121500||Modern English Grammar|| ||3||Hunley E|| ||28/28/0||Open||