Children with Special Needs (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course is designed to introduce students to the topic of children/students with special needs. Included is the exploration of cognitive impairments, emotional impairments, learning impairments, visual and hearing impairments, orthopedic and/or other health impairments, giftedness and instructional strategies for these special needs.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Differentiate how typical child development is altered because of special needs conditions.
- Distinguish characteristics of the major special needs categories: cognitive impairments, learning impairments, behavioral and emotional impairments, visual and hearing impairments, orthopedic and other health impairments and giftedness.
- Identify the causes of stereotypes involving individuals with special needs.
- Identify major pieces of legislation affecting persons of all ages with special needs including special education rules and regulations.
- Plan appropriately for children/students with special needs included in school and other group settings.
- Explore the role of resources in supporting students, families and educators dealing with the area of special education.
- Explain the impact of a child with special needs on the family.
- Identify attitudes and methods that will encourage the development of all children and adults to their greatest potential.
- Identify the role of the community in relation to a person with special needs.
- Discuss appropriate instructional strategies for children, youth and adults with special needs.
- Explain the evolution of the field of special education from a historical perspective.
- Investigate the Child Protection Law and Mandated Reporting of Suspected Abuse and Neglect.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors.
| ||200||118118||Children with Special Needs|| ||3||Pfaendtner J||$12.00||5/31/0||Open||
| ||200||118152||Children with Special Needs|| ||3||Miller N||$12.00||15/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.