Critical Reading and Thinking Applications (4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course focuses on developing brain-based comprehension strategies to actively read and process information from a variety of texts. Students will study test taking, including proper question/answer techniques. They will learn a variety of vocabulary strategies as well as strategies to critically analyze, synthesize and evaluate argumentative and expository essays.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- COLLS 50 or Reading Placement Score ACT 15 - 17, SAT 22 - 24, CPT 57 - 69.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Develop reading comprehension strategies for various types of written material.
- Differentiate between stated and unstated main ideas and supporting details in paragraphs, essays and texts.
- Analyze vocabulary word parts and context clues in paragraphs, essays and texts.
- Identify major organizational writing patterns in paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Identify author's purpose and point of view in paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Recognize valid inferences in various paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Identify the central point and major supporting elements in visuals, essays and texts.
- Document important events while reading an autobiography and generate short essays.
- Use appropriate organizational, summative, notational and/or visual techniques to integrate related information.
- Demonstrate appropriate test preparation and test taking techniques.
- Identify essential elements of an argument.
- Formulate a valid, documented response to an argument.
| ||053||120501||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Staff||$25.00||23/23/0||Open||
|M W R ||08:30AM-10:09AM||MC035|
|M W R ||10:15AM-11:15AM||MC040|
| ||053||110504||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Wernholm A||$25.00||3/25/0||Open||
|M W ||09:00AM-09:54AM||MC015|
|M W ||10:00AM-10:54AM||MC040|
| ||053||110505||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Wroblewski V||$25.00||2/25/0||Open||
|M W ||12:00PM-12:54PM||MC015|
|M W ||01:00PM-01:54PM||MC040|
| ||053||110506||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Anter N||$25.00||3/25/0||Open||
|M W ||10:00AM-10:54AM||MC035|
|M W ||11:00AM-11:54AM||MC040|
| ||053||110514||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Boyde S||$25.00||2/20/0||Open||
|T R ||01:30PM-02:24PM||MC035|
|T R ||02:30PM-03:24PM||MC050|
| ||053||110518||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Boyde S||$25.00||8/25/0||Open||
|T R ||03:30PM-04:24PM||MC015|
|T R ||04:30PM-05:24PM||MC040|
| ||053||110560||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Wernholm A||$25.00||4/25/0||Open||
|T R ||06:00PM-06:54PM||MC035|
|T R ||07:00PM-07:54PM||MC040|
| ||053||216507||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Brewer S||$25.00||12/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.