Critical Reading and Thinking Applications
This course focuses on developing brain-based comprehension strategies to actively read and process information from a variety of texts. Students will study test taking, including proper question/answer techniques. They will learn a variety of vocabulary strategies as well as strategies to critically analyze, synthesize and evaluate argumentative and expository essays.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- COLLS 50 or Reading Placement Score ACT 15 - 17 / CPT 57 - 69.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Develop reading comprehension strategies for various types of written material.
- Differentiate between stated and unstated main ideas and supporting details in paragraphs, essays and texts.
- Analyze vocabulary word parts and context clues in paragraphs, essays and texts.
- Identify major organizational writing patterns in paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Identify author's purpose and point of view in paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Recognize valid inferences in various paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Identify the central point and major supporting elements in visuals, essays and texts.
- Document important events while reading an autobiography and generate short essays.
- Use appropriate organizational, summative, notational and/or visual techniques to integrate related information.
- Demonstrate appropriate test preparation and test taking techniques.
- Identify essential elements of an argument.
- Formulate a valid, documented response to an argument.
| ||053||140515||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Grant D A||$13.00||14/25/0||Open||
|T R ||12:30PM-01:54PM||MC015|
|T R ||02:00PM-02:56PM||MC040|
| ||053||140532||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Brewer S||$13.00||2/20/0||Open||
| ||053||140550||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Raia M||$13.00||12/20/0||Open||
| ||053||140560||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Anter N||$13.00||0/25/1||Closed||