ESL Reading and Word Power
This course focuses on developing vocabulary and comprehension skills in group and lab settings for the international student. Students will explore and develop reading strategies to improve efficiency and understanding.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Reading Placement Score ACT 11 - 14 / CPT 32 - 56.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Develop reading comprehension strategies.
- Formulate a valid response to an essay or argument.
- Incorporate reading comprehension strategies when reading text.
- Assess word parts to aid with new vocabulary, including syllable stress and pronunciation.
- Interpret contextual clues to aid with new vocabulary, noting cultural distinctions.
- Differentiate main ideas and supporting details within paragraphs.
- Analyze central point and major support elements in essay.
- Discriminate among five major writing patterns.
- Construct accurate topic sentences for incomplete paragraphs.
- Document seminal events while reading a biographical writing.
- Generate short answer essays from reading notes.
- Summarize essential elements of an essay or argument.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.