Organic and Biochemistry (3-3) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course is an introduction to both organic chemistry and biochemistry. Major topics covered include structures, functions and reactions of organic and biological compounds; the chemistry of metabolic processes; enzymatic processes; and related topics. The laboratory portion of the course includes exercises in organic and biochemistry designed to reinforce lecture topics.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Classify organic molecules by functional group, including alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, alcohols, phenols, ethers, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, esters, amines, amides, as well as other functional groups.
- Apply IUPAC naming rules to name organic compounds.
- Translate 3-D representations of molecules (molecular models) into 2-D representations of molecules (drawings).
- Use ball-and-stick models to build 3-D representations of organic molecules.
- Predict physical properties and characteristic reactions of the various classes of the various organic compounds listed above.
- Differentiate between constitutional isomers, geometric (cis-trans) isomers and stereoisomers (enantiomers and diastereomers).
- Distinguish isomers from conformers.
- Analyze organic and biochemical reactions in terms of acid-base and oxidation-reduction concepts.
- Predict the ionization state of molecules containing acidic and basic functional groups under various pH conditions.
- Analyze biochemical systems in terms of kinetics and thermodynamics.
- Interpret energy diagrams for biochemical reactions.
- Interpret rate-versus-concentration diagram with respect to enzyme-catalyzed processes and enzyme inhibitors.
- Differentiate between the basic classes of biochemical compounds--carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and nucleic acids--with respect to their respective structural characteristics and functional groups.
- Predict the physical and chemical properties that determine the functions of each class of biochemical compounds.
- Relate the various structures found in the cell membrane to their functions.
- Distinguish between intermolecular forces and intramolecular forces.
- Relate the intermolecular and intramolecular forces of the organic and biochemical substances to their physical and chemical properties.
- Analyze the various biochemical cycles and pathways involved in metabolic processes with respect to carbohydrates, proteins and lipids.
- Relate the structural components and function of nucleic acids to their role in molecular genetics.
- Interpret the results of chemical tests on a variety of organic and biochemical compounds used in the laboratory.
- Correlate knowledge of organic and biochemical compounds used in the laboratory with substances that are encountered in everyday life.
- Utilize chemical tests to identify unknown compounds by comparison with known compounds.
- Utilize various laboratory equipment in the performance of laboratory experiments.
- Perform various laboratory manipulations.
- Organize laboratory data, calculations and analyses in an accurate and detailed fashion.
- Demonstrate interpersonal communication and group work skills while cooperating with other students to complete laboratory experiments.
- Execute appropriate disposal procedures for the various compounds used in the laboratory.
- Apply a working knowledge of laboratory safety, including proper use of safety equipment (e.g., protective eyewear) and safe work habits.
- Identify the conditions needed for various organic reactions with various functional groups.
- Predict the outcome of chemical reactions when specific substrates are exposed to specific reaction conditions.
- Apply various organic reactions in biochemical reaction pathways.
| ||120||145432||Organic & Biochemistry|| || ||Waldyke M||$321.00||4/24/0||Open||
|T R ||08:00AM-09:20AM||F100|
| ||120||145453||Organic & Biochemistry|| || ||Devos R||$321.00||5/24/0||Open||
| ||120||115428||Organic & Biochemistry|| || ||Waldyke M||$321.00||24/24/0||Open||
| ||120||115433||Organic & Biochemistry|| || ||Waldyke M||$321.00||24/24/0||Open||
| ||120||115456||Organic & Biochemistry|| || ||Devos R||$321.00||24/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.