Computer Graphics Technology
History of Graphic Design
This course introduces the student to the history of graphic design and its application as a form of mass communication. Students examine how social, cultural and technical considerations have influenced the way information is designed for publication. Students learn how an understanding of historical, cultural and social influences leads to more effective graphic design in the modern world.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Distinguish elements which increase the effectiveness of communication.
- Explain major trends and movements in the history of design.
- Examine key innovators and contributors to the field of graphic design.
- Differentiate the social, cultural, technical and aesthetic trends which have affected the design of visual communications through history.
- Explain the forces affecting our current systems of visual communication in an international environment.
- Differentiate the historical, cultural, and technical influences in specific examples of graphic design.
- Explain how developments in technology have changed the nature of visual communication over time.
- Explain how changes in culture or society have resulted in changes in graphic design.
- Compare examples of graphic design from different cultures or different times in terms of their effectiveness in communicating to their audiences.
| ||161||149328||History Graphic Design|| ||3||Jacobs E|| ||16/22/0||Open||