Computer Graphics Technology
Design Concepts and Technology
In order to succeed in any discipline within the Computer Graphics field students must have a strong sense of design. This course covers both the theoretical and the practical aspects of design theory, design process and software application. This course includes an introduction to design elements and principles - how they work together to create effective communication. It includes an understanding of typography, grid systems and color theory including physiological, emotional and cultural variations. Materials include a look at human perception and Gestalt theory to foster an understanding for visual communication. A variety of application programs are introduced in order to explore proper file types and tools and the strengths and limitations of a variety of digital media. The computer graphics industry is explored and resources are provided for concept development and job search along with a brief introduction to intellectual property rights. This course provides foundation skills for all classes within the CGT curriculum. In this course students will use software at an introductory level, exploring vector and bitmapped images, page-layout, animation and interactive Web site development. Projects and exercises are designed to allow students to do both short skill building exercises and more complex larger works.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Apply design principles using design elements to create effective visual communication.
- Explore conceptual development to create visual components used within a composition.
- Execute conceptual development to create visual components used within a composition.
- Create effective image structures and layout designs based on the elements and principles of design.
- Determine appropriate typographical treatments to enhance readability, legibility and priority of information.
- Create abstract typographical treatments using type as line, shape and texture.
- Demonstrate color harmonies (monochromatic, complementary, split complementary, analogous and triads).
- Explore the psychological, emotional and cultural influence and differences that affect the understanding of color and meaning.
- Utilize the current Schoolcraft College International focus area in a design project.
- Apply a grid system to construct compositions.
- Create vector and bitmapped images.
- Translate verbal criteria into a visual form.
- Create page layouts.
- Create computer animations.
- Explore research database tools and library resources for communication arts.
- Utilize a production design process in the execution of projects.
- Develop critiquing skills to enhance visual judgment and evaluate work.
- Explore the basics of intellectual property laws.
- Prepare an interactive electronic portfolio of earlier class design projects, converting compositions into components for the portfolio.
- Present an electronic portfolio of earlier class design projects, converting compositions into components for the portfolio.
| ||109||129316||Design Concepts & Technology|| ||3||McCulloch C||$30.00||19/24/0||Open||
| ||109||129356||Design Concepts & Technology|| ||3||Su K||$30.00||17/24/0||Open||
| ||109||139350||Design Concepts & Technology|| ||3||Haselhuhn M||$30.00||23/24/0||Open||
| ||109||149300||Design Concepts & Technology|| ||3||Mumm D||$30.00||23/24/0||Open||
| ||109||149304||Design Concepts & Technology|| ||3||Voyles T||$30.00||24/24/0||Open||
| ||109||149306||Design Concepts & Technology|| ||3||Langdon J||$30.00||23/24/0||Open||
| ||109||149323||Design Concepts & Technology|| ||3||Case C||$30.00||23/24/0||Open||
| ||109||149324||Design Concepts & Technology|| ||3||McCulloch C||$30.00||24/24/0||Open||
| ||109||149325||Design Concepts & Technology|| ||3||Case C||$30.00||23/24/0||Open||
| ||109||149356||Design Concepts & Technology|| ||3||Case C||$30.00||24/24/0||Open||
| ||109||149360||Design Concepts & Technology|| ||3||Langdon J||$30.00||23/24/0||Open||