Child and Family Services
Children With Special Needs
This course is designed to introduce students to the topic of children/students with special needs. Included is the exploration of cognitive impairments, emotional impairments, learning impairments, visual and hearing impairments, orthopedic and/or other health impairments, giftedness and instructional strategies for these special needs.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- College-level reading and writing.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Differentiate how typical child development is altered because of special needs conditions.
- Distinguish characteristics of the major special needs categories: cognitive impairments, learning impairments, behavioral and emotional impairments, visual and hearing impairments, orthopedic and other health impairments and giftedness.
- Identify the causes of stereotypes involving individuals with special needs.
- Identify major pieces of legislation affecting persons of all ages with special needs including special education rules and regulations.
- Plan appropriately for children/students with special needs included in school and other group settings.
- Explore the role of resources in supporting children, families and educators dealing with the area of special education.
- Explain the impact of a child with special needs on the family.
- Identify attitudes and methods that will encourage the development of all children and adults to their greatest potential.
- Identify the role of the community in relation to a person with special needs.
- Discuss appropriate instructional strategies for children, youth and adults.
- Explain the evolution of the field of special education from a historical perspective.
- Interpret the Child Protection Services law as related to mandated reporters.
| ||217||147180||Children with Special Needs|| ||3||Miller N|| ||18/31/0||Open||
| ||217||148103||Children with Special Needs|| ||3||Pfaendtner J|| ||15/31/0||Open||
| ||217||148156||Children with Special Needs|| ||3||Miller N|| ||12/24/0||Open||
| ||217||118123||Children with Special Needs|| ||3||Pfaendtner J|| ||16/31/0||Open||
| ||217||118153||Children with Special Needs|| ||3||Miller N|| ||11/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.