This course explores nutrition and the relationship between nutrition and health. Topics such as vegetarianism, food fads, obesity, weight control, and portion sizes are studied. Students will learn how to apply nutritional concepts in menu planning in order to prepare healthful foods that are pleasing to both the eye and the palate to cater to the growing number of health-minded customers.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explore the importance of the major nutrient classes for proper health.
- Explore characteristics, functions, and sources of the major nutrient classes.
- Explore the importance of proper food intake and meal planning for prevention and treatment of disease and for optimal health.
- Design a menu based upon assigned dietetic concerns.
- Analyze dietary intake for calories and nutrients.
- Evaluate the recommended intake for each of the nutrient classes.
- Interpret the information found on food labels.
- Identify food science concepts in regard to nutrition.
- Utilize technology for nutrient analysis.
| ||241||142431||Culinary Nutrition ||Online||2||Mercer S||$30.00||4/31/0||Open||
| ||241||142340||Culinary Nutrition ||Online||2||Mercer S||$30.00||13/31/0||Open||
| ||241||143750||Culinary Nutrition|| ||2||Mercer S||$25.00||5/30/0||Open||
| ||241||112349||Culinary Nutrition ||Online||2||Mercer S||$30.00||31/31/0||Open||
| ||241||112340||Culinary Nutrition ||Online||2||Mercer S||$30.00||31/31/0||Open||
| ||241||113750||Culinary Nutrition|| ||2||Mercer S||$25.00||30/30/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.