Culinary Sanitation (2-0) 2 Cr. Hrs.
This course introduces the theory and practice of sanitation and safety and their relationship to the hospitality industry. Topics include the study of food-borne illnesses and safety: biological, chemical and physical hazards, cross-contamination, personal hygiene, sanitation, safety regulations and the use and care of equipment. Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines and standards, as they apply to the hospitality industry, will be introduced. Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be prepared to take the National Restaurant Association ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification exam.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Examine food borne illnesses, including their symptoms and causes.
- Characterize factors affecting the growth and development of microbial pathogens causing foodborne illness (e.g. nutrient availability, acidity, time, temperature, oxygen and moisture).
- Evaluate types of cleaning and sanitizing techniques, procedures, solutions and equipment.
- Assess sanitary, biological, chemical and physical hazards resulting from preparation, service, receiving, storage, cooling, reheating and holding practices in a foodservice environment.
- Summarize proper personal hygiene practices.
- Outline management's responsibilities in a foodservice establishment.
- Explain the development and implementation of an integrated pest management program.
- Determine the elements of a safe working environment taking equipment specifications into account.
| ||102||112702||Culinary Sanitation ||Online||2||Musto S||$30.00||13/31/0||Open||
| ||102||113715||Culinary Sanitation|| ||2||Sebold L|| ||3/30/0||Open||
| ||102||113735||Culinary Sanitation|| ||2||Musto S|| ||15/30/0||Open||
| ||102||112703||Culinary Sanitation ||Online||2||Musto S||$30.00||19/31/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.