This course is offered to students who seek to acquire the necessary background and skills to successfully complete a college-level biology course such as General Biology (BIOL 101). Emphasis is placed on basic terminology and concepts that contribute to an understanding of the scientific process and biological principles such as the scientific method, basic chemistry, cell biology, metabolism, genetics, evolution, biological classification and ecology.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Outline the correct order of the steps of the scientific method.
- Arrange the levels of biological organization from least complex to most complex.
- Differentiate between a scientifically valid question, hypothesis and prediction.
- Explain how DNA accounts for both the diversity and unity of life on Earth.
- Relate the structure and function of living organisms to their chemical basis.
- Relate how the process of natural selection leads to evolutionary adaptation in populations of organisms.
- Identify the structural and functional differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
- Relate the role of enzymes in biochemical pathways and cellular metabolism.
- Relate photosynthesis and cellular respiration to energy flow.
- Explain the chromosomal basis for inheritance.
- Compare how abiotic (physical and chemical) and biotic (living) factors influence life in the biosphere.
- Relate the processes of energy flow and chemical cycling to ecosystem ecology.
- Differentiate between mitosis and meiosis.
| ||050||142307||Basic Biology ||Online||4||Orick M||$30.00||29/31/0||Open||
| ||050||142317||Basic Biology ||Online||4||Gray S||$30.00||30/31/0||Open||
| ||050||142327||Basic Biology ||Online||4||Orick M||$30.00||30/31/0||Open||
| ||050||142306||Basic Biology ||Online||4||Gray S||$30.00||9/31/0||Open||
| ||050||145300||Basic Biology|| ||4||Kurland S|| ||17/30/0||Open||
| ||050||145301||Basic Biology|| ||4||Lynd J|| ||0/30/0||Closed||
| ||050||145303||Basic Biology|| ||4||Bayne N|| ||19/30/0||Open||
| ||050||145358||Basic Biology|| ||4||O'Hagan D|| ||23/30/0||Open||
| ||050||246021||Basic Biology|| ||4||Anderson D L|| ||19/30/0||Open||