In order to take online, hybrid and OE/OE courses, or to do computer work for on campus classes from home, you must own or have convenient access to a computer system with the following minimum qualifications:
To determine if one or all of your courses are using Blackboard Learn, review the list on the right column of this page.
- A PC with a minimum of 1GB of RAM.
- A high speed or broadband internet connection such as DSL or Cable. (Dial-up is not sufficient.)
- A CD or DVD drive.
- A printer.
- Speakers or Headphones.
- A Schoolcraft College email account.
Windows Based Software Requirements
- Windows 7 or higher.
- Microsoft Word 2007 or higher. Microsoft Office 2010 or higher is recommended. (If you use another word processor or spreadsheet program they must be able to open and save files in Word 2007 (.docx) or Excel 2007 (.xlsx) format to be accepted by your instructor.)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 or higher, or Mozilla Firefox 23 or higher, Chrome 28 or higher. (The latest version is recommended. Beta versions are not supported.)
Macintosh Based Software Requirements
- OS X (10.5 “Leopard”) or higher.
- Microsoft Office v. X for Mac or higher. (If you use another word processor or spreadsheet program they must be able to open and save files in Word or Excel format to be accepted by your instructor.)
- Safari 5.0 or higher, or Mozilla Firefox 23 or higher, Chrome 28 or higher. (The latest version is recommended.)
- Some courses require Windows emulation software such as Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion, or Virtual PC; a licensed copy of Windows 7 or higher; and the appropriate Windows based software packages.
- Some courses require specific software packages. Check the additional requirements to ensure you have what is needed for a particular course.
- For the most recent information regarding browser and operating system compatibility with Blackboard, view the supported browsers and operating systems page as there are some combinations of older operating systems and newer browsers and vice-versa that are unsupported.
- It is not recommended to use cell phone browsers to submit course work or take exams as unexpected results may occur. Blackboard does provide an app for Android, Blackberry and iPhone OS called Mobile Learn. Features and functions of Mobile Learn may not match the full Blackboard Learn.